Kyrenia Harbour

20 vots
Presa el 15/03/14
In its heyday, just before the British occupation of the island in 1878, Kyrenia harbour was a quiet, often ignored, port between Cyprus and mainland Turkey. From there local Caïques, Greek owned, Turkish owned and even Turkish-Greek owned, conducted a thriving trade. Depending on the season, they exported wheat and olives, donkeys and goats and much more. Larger boats, mostly from Europe, arrived in the late fall and early winter to take in the crop of carobs, the main export item of the area. The caiques brought in wood, earthenware, legumes, cheese, butter, and even small luxuries items such as silk and cotton cloth, buttons and odd pieces of furniture. Slowly, two storied buildings emerged around the harbour as the owners used the lower floor as warehouses and the second floor as their residences.
Continuar llegint +

Autor:

Kirill µ
Membre Or
Distingit

Latitud: 35° 20' 30" N, Longitud: 33° 19' 14" E veure »

Deixa el teu comentari:

[ * ] = camps obligatoris.
El teu nom: *
El camp de correu electrònic és obligatori, però no apareixerà publicat en la pàgina web.
El teu correu electrònic: *
La teua pàgina web:
El teu comentari: *